Written by the Bucher Group
While the temperatures haven’t cooled off yet – make no mistake, autumn is coming. From cooling temperatures to falling leaves, follow this checklist to ensure your home’s interior and exterior are ready for the season ahead:
- Hire an HVAC technician to service your furnace. A heating system will use fuel more efficiently, last longer and experience fewer problems if maintained properly.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan blade rotation. Blades should rotate clockwise (as you’re looking up at the fan), creating an upward draft that redistributes warm air from the ceiling. Look for a small toggle on the side of the base of the fan to make the switch.
- Test and change the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Vacuum internal components of your air conditioner.
- Apply weather stripping and caulk any air leaks around your windows and doors.
- Ensure your fireplace is in working order by checking the insert’s door gasket for a tight seal and cleaning out your chimney.
- Clean your humidifier regularly during the heating season.
- Check your foundation. Look for cracks and caulk around where siding meets masonry, where pipes or wires enter the house and around windows and doors. This easy checkup can reveal issues early and prevent heat from escaping in chilly months.
- Inspect exterior paint and make touch-ups as needed.
- Inspect your roof. Wintry weather wreaks havoc on roofs and it’s better to proactively deal with repairs than to discover a leaking roof in a rainstorm.
- Clean gutters. After leaves have fallen, take time to inspect and clean your gutters. Flush them with water, inspect the joints and tighten brackets if necessary.
- Weather-strip your garage door. Ensure the seal between your garage door and the ground is snug to prevent drafts and small animals from entering.
- Inspect your driveway. Look for cracks and repair damage with driveway filler, then coat with a commercial sealant.
Click here for a printable checklist.
Be proactive; follow this maintenance checklist to prepare your home for the upcoming season!
Do you have any questions about preparing your Austin area home for autumn? Give us a call; we would be honored to answer any questions you may have or send you a list of our preferred maintenance vendors.