Wednesday, February 06, 2019 / by Holly Northup
As the United States continues to recuperate from what is now called the Great Recession, Austin’s economy, job growth and housing market are surpassing many cities in their recovery.
Just this week, Forbes named Austin third in the country for “The Best Cities for Jobs 2014” among 398 metropolitan statistical areas using Bureau of Labor Statistics data from November 2002 through January 2014.
Austin had been number one on this Forbes’ list back in 2012, but fell to number 10 in 2013. Regardless of the rank, Austin has steadily added jobs over the last several years due to many West Coast companies moving to Central Texas based on lower taxes and affordable cost of living.
According to Forbes, Austin’s recorded number of jobs was 881,000 which grew 4.1% last year, and 13.7% since 2008. The only cities that exceeded Austin were Silicon Valley and San Francisco, which were subsequently number one and two.
Other Forbes lists that Austin is ranked in include:
- Fastest Growing City – ranked #1
- Education – ranked #15
- Best Places for Business and Careers – ranked #14
- Top 10 Up and Coming City for Entrepreneurs
It is often said that once you come to Austin, you never leave. This is not surprising considering Austin is a great city with versatility, affordability and diversity. The eclectic culture is like no other and the restaurants and entertainment are unrivaled.
Furthermore, Forbes isn’t the only organization that regularly names Austin as a top city.
- Austin is the ranked #1 Best-Performing City in the Milken Institute’s annual assessment of Where America’s Jobs are Created and Sustained (Dec 2013).
- Austin is #2 on Livability Index list of the Best U.S. Cities for People 35 and Under according to Vocativ.com (Nov 2013).
- Austin ranks as #6 Most Tech-Savvy Digital City by Center for Digital Government (Nov 2013).
- Austin is #7 on annual ‘Markets to Watch’ ranking for overall real estate prospects by Urban Land Institute (Nov 2013).
If you’ve never been to Austin, come visit and see what all the hype is about! You’ll be glad you did.
Please contact Kathleen Bucher with the Bucher Group at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com for any questions regarding buying and selling real estate in the Austin area. It would be an honor to earn your business.