Wednesday, February 06, 2019 / by Holly Northup
Are you considering a bathroom remodel, but you're not sure where to start? All of us have been in that position, and while it can be hard to decide, there are some ways to help you choose a starting point. First, you should consider how much you want to spend. To help you out, we’ve outlined three of the basic cost ranges for a bathroom remodel and what features you can expect in that particular budget. Of course, these aren't all of your options; they’re just a good starting point to give you a little inspiration:
Cost: $3,000 (DIY) and $12,000.
What features can you expect? While you can’t move around the plumbing, you can replace fixtures, backsplash and other materials with stock products you would find in a big store, like Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc.
- Countertops: You can add low-end granite within this price range.
- Tile: Ceramic tile and standard subway tiles are the go-to options here.
- Walls: Repainting the walls can transform a space for a small price.
- Cabinets: In this price range, you can either repaint or refinish the cabinets in the bathroom. Or, consider adding new hardware to change the space for a fraction of the cost.
- Lighting, Fixtures and Finishes: Stick to items from big stores, as they are usually cheaper.
At this price level, you can transform your bathroom into a lovely space. Great ways to accomplish this is to focus on the accessories – light fixture, towels, candles, cabinet hardware, etc. A basic remodel is great if you are sprucing up the bathroom to prepare your home for the market.
The Mid-to Upper-Range
Cost: $10,000 to $35,000
What features can you expect? With more money, you can expect higher-end fixtures. Like a nice toilet or better faucets, new flooring, a new vanity, etc.
- Countertops: You can add a higher-end granite at this price range. Or, a custom piece of granite, marble or quartz.
- Cabinets: Cabinets are expensive. At this price range, you can upgrade to semi-custom cabinets with higher-end finishes.
- Plumbing: Unlike the previous price range, you can make minor plumbing adjustments, like moving the faucets or shower…however, the toilet will likely stay in the same place.
- Fixtures: You can now upgrade to better quality fixtures that will last longer than the ones you can buy at the cheaper price level.
- Tile: Porcelain tile is the go-to option here. There are more color, size and design options and it is more durable and slip resistant than ceramic.
- Walls: You can afford to get more creative with the walls at this price point.
At this price range, you will likely get better quality fixtures, countertops, cabinets and more. Not only will they look better, but they will also last longer! A mid-to upper-range remodel is great if you are doing it for yourself. Don’t use this price option if you are planning to sell it and move.
Cost: $30,000 to $100,000 +
What features can you expect? A completely NEW bathroom. Basically, at this level, you tear everything out and start from scratch.
- Cabinets: Beautiful custom cabinets with decorative aspects.
- Tile: Marble, limestone, granite and more. The possibilities are endless at this price range.
- Plumbing: You can completely rework the entire bathroom just the way you think it should be laid out. Switch the shower and the toilet location or move the vanity to the other side.
- Spa-like Amenities: Heated floors, steam showers, jetted tub and more.
At this price range, you can really get the bathroom you want. Keep in mind; you don't have to spend to the top of the range to get it!
What is the cost breakdown of a bathroom remodel? Here is where your money usually goes, according to the National Kitchen and Bath Association’s cost breakdown:
- Design fees: 4 percent
- Installation: 20 percent
- Fixtures: 15 percent
- Cabinetry and hardware: 16 percent
- Countertops: 7 percent
- Lighting and ventilation: 5 percent
- Flooring: 9 percent
- Doors and windows: 4 percent
- Walls and ceilings: 5 percent
- Faucets and plumbing: 14 percent
- Other: 1 percent
These three basic cost ranges for a bathroom remodel are a great starting point for your renovation. Or at the very least, we hope they provided you with a little inspiration.
Are you searching for a contractor to help with your upcoming bathroom remodel? Give us a call! We would be honored to provide you with a trusted professional in the greater Austin area.