Wednesday, February 6, 2019 / by Holly Northup
Obviously, the hustle and bustle of the season can make it hard to research all the do’s and don’ts, so we’ve put together some helpful tips to make your travel just a bit easier.
Air travel rules and regulations can be the most difficult to navigate so it is a good idea to plan accordingly and arrive early since anytime around Thanksgiving will be considered peak times.
In fact, due to the large amount of travelers, airport officials recommend travelers be at the airport two hours prior to domestic flights and three hours prior to international flights.
Other things to keep in mind are the following:
- Check flight status with the airline before arriving at the airport regardless of whether you are traveling or picking up travelers.
- Allow ample time to get to the airport. Traffic and weather could add to commute time.
- Construction activity is in progress at the airport. For construction updates, visit “Tuning Up!” at http://www.austintexas.gov/department/improvements-are-underway .
- A free cell phone parking lot is available for those picking up arriving passengers. The cell phone lot can be accessed from the airport’s main entrance road, Presidential Blvd., or Spirit of Texas Dr. NO PARKING IS ALLOWED IN FRONT OF THE TERMINAL.
- Travelers or families of passengers with disabilities and medical conditions may call the TSA Cares helpline toll free at 1-855-787-2227 with any questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint.
To make getting through Security check-points easier, officials recommend the following:
- Sign up for the TSA’s Pre-Check. To enroll, visit https://www.tsa.gov/ .
- Wear easily removable shoes.
- Be aware that carry-on luggage is restricted to one bag and one personal item such as a laptop, purse, or backpack.
- Remember 3-1-1 for liquids, gels and aerosols in carry-on luggage. Three ounces per container, in a clear, one-quart bag, one per passenger.
- Have an acceptable ID and boarding pass out and remove large electronics, including laptops and the 3-1-1 compliant liquids bag, from carry-on baggage.
- Do not wrap gifts as they may have to be opened during security inspections.
- While packing, check luggage to ensure no prohibited items are in the bag or its pockets. For a comprehensive list of banned items in carry-on baggage, visit the TSA's Web site at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items .
- Remember to check the bins and collect all belongings after going through screening.
For Texas road travel information, please go to http://www.txdot.gov/ and plan your route with alternate routes in case of construction, road hazards and accidents.
We hope you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
If you or someone you know is interested in buying or selling real estate, please contact Kathleen Bucher at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com. It would be an honor to earn your business.