Wednesday, February 6, 2019 / by Miranda Klaproth
Once you've decided a new home is in your future, it is only natural to jump online and check out the listings. However, this can be a mistake - emotionally and financially. So, before you inevitably hit the internet, please take a moment to do these seven things:
- Get your credit in order
- Your credit score is essential to qualifying for a home loan. Before you even visit a mortgage lender, be sure your credit is in order.
- Get pre-approved
- Visit a lender to get pre-approved for a loan. Not only does this letter show you how much house you can afford, but it is also appealing to a seller. It shows them you are good for the money!
- Make a list of your must-haves
- Sit down and make a list of what you want in a home. Open layout? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Pool? Etc. This list will come in handy when the time comes to begin searching for homes.
- Review a residential purchase agreement
- Take a look at a sample residential purchase agreement with your agent before you even start looking for homes. Going into the process with open eyes is the key to a stress-free transaction.
- Prepare to be flexible
- While you may want all the options on your wish list, you may have to decide what you can't live without. Also, be open to alternatives to the criteria originally set forth - you never know, it could be the perfect fit!
- Explore all of your loan options
- Talk to a mortgage lender to find the loan option that works best for you!
- Fill your cash reserves
- Keep in mind; you need to pay for more than just the down payment. Have an emergency fun that amounts to several months of what the mortgage payment would be. That way, if something happens, you are prepared!
Is a new home your real estate goal for 2019? Contact our team today to learn more about our comprehensive seller services and strategy to find you your dream home!