The blistering summer temperatures have finally begun to ease up on the capital city! As usual, Austin in October is the perfect time to get outside and perform the necessary home maintenance items before any major cold fronts hit the area with cooler weather or rain.
No one wants to be stuck making repairs in nasty weather!
Most of us realize that our homes are the single largest investments we will ever make in our lifetime. Therefore, maintaining our source of shelter to the highest standard is essential to staying safe, keeping comfortable and receiving top dollar if and when we ever decide to sell them.
Completing a routine inspection and repairing problem areas will keep our homes in tip-top shape and make next season’s inspection that much easier. Doing this on a regular basis will keep us aware of any issues and save us some major headaches down the road.
Our Top 10 Fall Home Maintenance Tips include:
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts.
- Trim trees and bushes. Clean out debris from around the edges of the house and fertilize the grass.
- Seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors with weather-stripping and caulk as needed.
- Inspect the roof for damaged shingles, corroded flashing, or leaky vents.
- Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
- Clean or replace air return and furnace filters.
- Have a professional inspect your heating system.
- Schedule a visit from a reputable chimney sweep.
- Test smoke detectors, CO monitors, and fire extinguishers. Review fire escape plans with family members.
- Examine attics, crawl spaces and basements for pests and insects, damage caused by pests, and places pests and insects could be entering into the home. Repair and treat as necessary.
If you or someone you know is interested in buying or selling real estate in the Austin area, please do not hesitate to contact Kathleen Bucher at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com. It would be an honor to earn your business!