Halloween is this coming Monday and we are all looking forward to some yummy treats, fabulous fun, and creative costumes…sounds like fun to me!!!
Since this is a holiday that is spent mostly in the dark, we thought it would be a good idea to review some safety tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics to minimize the opportunity for accidents for kids of all ages.
We can all keep our Halloween a safe and happy one if we will plan with safety in mind!!!
- Purchase or make costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, entanglement or contact with flame.
- Add reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
- Because masks can limit or block eyesight, consider non-toxic makeup and decorative hats as safer alternatives. Hats should fit properly to prevent them from sliding over eyes.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories; look for and purchase those with a label clearly indicating they are flame resistant.
- If a sword, cane, or stick is a part of your child’s costume, make sure it is not sharp or too long. A child may be easily hurt by these accessories if he stumbles or trips.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- Teach children how to call 9-1-1 (or their local emergency number) if they have an emergency or become lost.
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children (under 12) on their neighborhood rounds.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you. Agree on a specific time when they should return home.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Carry a cellphone for quick communication.
- Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
The Bucher Group hopes you have a great fun-filled Halloween!
If you or someone you know is interested in buying or selling real estate, please do not hesitate to contact Kathleen Bucher at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com. It would be an honor to earn your business!