The busiest travel day of the year is the day before Thanksgiving. The second busiest is the Sunday after the Thanksgiving holiday. Between these two statistics, putting together Thanksgiving travel plans early is essential to a stress and hassle free holiday travel experience.
According to Austin Bergstrom International Airport, passenger traffic is up 7% year-to-date compared to last year’s record 10 million passengers.
Moreover, ABIA is offering more nonstop flight options from Austin, more refreshment options in the gate areas and several travel tips for traveling this year.
The newest nonstop flight options include:
- London on British Airways
- Victoria and DFW on Texas Sky
- Cancun daily nonstop on Southwest
- More San Francisco flights on Virgin America, now twice daily
- More LAX – Delta became the fourth carrier to provide nonstop Austin-LAX
Additionally, two new restaurants have opened at ABIA including; Hoover’s Cooking, a southern style farm-to-table eatery, which is located in the east food court across from Gate 8 and Vino Volo which is open between Gates 13 and 14 and combines a wine lounge, restaurant, tasting bar, and boutique wine shop with wines from across Texas and around the world.
Airport officials recommend travelers be at the airport 90 minutes prior to domestic flights and two hours prior to international flights.
- The first passenger screening checkpoint will open at 4 a.m.
- Check flight status before arriving at the airport, www.abia.org or with your airline
- Allow ample time to get to the airport. Traffic and weather could add to commute time
- Construction activity is in progress at the airport and on roadways. For construction updates, visit “Tuning Up!” at www.abia.org
- Real-time ABIA On-Airport Parking information is available by calling 512-530-3300
- A free cell phone parking lot is available for those picking up arriving passengers. The cell phone lot can be accessed from the airport’s main entrance road, Presidential Blvd., or Spirit of Texas Dr.
- For airport information 24 hours a day, call 512-530-ABIA (2242) or visit www.abia.org
To get through Security check-points, officials recommend the following:
- TSA’s Pre-Check is available at checkpoints 1, 2, and 3. To enroll, visit www.tsa.gov
- Carry-on luggage is restricted to one bag and one personal item such as a laptop, purse, or backpack
- Shoes, coats, jackets, hats and other such garments must be put through x-ray screening
- Do not wrap gifts as they may have to be opened during security inspections
- Remember 3-1-1 for liquids, gels and aerosols in carry-on luggage. Three ounces per container, in a clear, one-quart bag, one per passenger
- While packing, check luggage to ensure no prohibited items are in the bag or its pockets. For a comprehensive list of banned and permitted items in carry-on baggage, visit the TSA’s Web site at www.tsa.gov
For Texas road travel information, please go to http://www.txdot.gov/ and plan your route early with alternate routes in case of construction, road hazards and accidents.
Hope this information helps you with your Thanksgiving Holiday travel plans!
If you or someone you know is interested in buying or selling real estate, please contact Kathleen Bucher at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com. It would be an honor to earn your business.