Last week’s blog discussed the most important part of listing your home for a timely and lucrative sale.
Now, we would like to take you beyond pricing your home and on to the second most important factor that ultimately makes your home more sellable than your competition – home www.
Sounds easy enough, right?
Well, after many years of experience, we have discovered that everyone thinks they have style and taste, but the real question is whether or not your style and taste is suited for the masses of buyers out in the real estate market looking for the home of their dreams?
We recommend a home staging professional, but can easily get you on your way with these 10 staging musts!!
1. Curb appeal – the front entrance is the gateway into your home. Power washing the walkways, decorating the front door, keeping the yard mowed and creating an inviting entrance makes a buyer want to see more!!
2. Closets – clean them up, get things off of the floor and create space for people to see that storage is available.
3. De-clutter every room in the house – anything personal (i.e. family photos, university paraphernalia, etc.) should be taken down and packed away. This is a great time to clean out, throw away and give away items that haven’t been used in a while.
4. Let the outdoors shine through – pull back the curtains, open blinds and let the sun shine in!!! This makes the home feel more inviting and open.
5. Good lighting speaks volumes – change bulbs as necessary and lamps can do wonders.
6. Neutral colors for the walls are a must – but, splashes of color with pillows, rugs, curtains, and more create a homey and beautiful room.
7. Clean baseboards make a difference – touch up paint on baseboards and walls as needed.
8. Accessorize like a model home – decorate for the season and change as necessary.
9. Fresh flowers make a statement – they smell good and make the home feel cheery.
10. Less is always more – if in doubt, don’t or at least ask. Renting a storage facility while your home is on the market is worth the monthly price because buyers cannot always look past stacks of boxes in the garage or furniture that is too large for the room.
When you place your home on the market, it is no longer about your tastes, but rather about what a buyer would want. You always want buyers to feel like they can move their furniture in and live comfortably from the get-go.
One of the best ways to figure out what buyers are looking for is to go and visit model homes in your area. Everyone likes the model home!!!
If you or someone you know is looking for real estate in the Austin area, please contact Kathleen Bucher at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com. It would be an honor to earn your business!