As we are ending the second week of 2015 and wondering when the sunny days of June are going to get here…I recall that some have said in the past, “If you don’t like the weather in Austin…just stay a few more days.”
This is absolutely true and good to remember as we weather the cold days of January and hope the forecast of 60 degrees for this weekend is correct!
Winter is never easy to predict in Austin. It can be mild, harsh or somewhere in between. However, the one constant remains…it will likely change tomorrow!
Regardless of what the numbers on the outside temperature gauge are, it is smart to keep a few things handy over the months of January and February…just in case we experience what some folks call a “Texas Northerner”.
Winter storms can do severe damage in a short period of time. Most importantly, winter storms can cause electricity outages and hazardous road conditions.
So, we have come up with the following eight reminders to help in any unpredictable cold weather snap!
- Have bottled water and non-perishable foods on hand.
- Keep extra batteries and flashlights readily available.
- Make sure to have a weather radio in case the electricity goes out.
- Be prepared to bring pets inside during cold nights.
- Pay attention to local TV and radio stations for weather updates.
- Insulate water pipes that are susceptible to freezing.
- Unhook hoses from outdoor faucets.
- If an ice storm or snow is in the forecast, move vehicles off the street and/or away from large tree limbs.
Be safe as we continue through winter 2015!
If you or someone you know wants to buy or sell real estate in the Austin area, please contact Kathleen Bucher at 512.794.6644 or KathleenBucher@mac.com. It would be an honor to earn your business.